Aside from the kayak, you should also know the perfect kayak paddle for you. The right paddle will be easy to use, making navigating in the water a breeze. People often make the mistake of skipping this step, thinking that every kayak paddle is the same. However, there are a number of factors to consider. Find out here!
What Are the Factors to Consider When Choosing a Kayak Paddle?
When you’re out on the water, your kayak and kayak paddle will play a major role in how enjoyable your experience can be. No matter how long you plan to stay on the water, a proper kayak paddle will save you from hassle. Here are the basics:
- Shaft: The shaft determines the effectiveness of the kayak paddle. This is the backbone of any paddle.
- Blade: The shape and size of your paddle’s blade play a role in how efficient your strokes will be.
- Materials: Some paddles are heavier compared to others. Lightweight kayak paddles are more expensive but easier to manage.
- Length: The length of your kayak paddle should be determined by your height and the width and length of your kayak.
Why Does Kayak Paddle Length Matter?
When choosing kayak paddle length, it is important to find one that is perfect for your height. Because when you don’t, you might sacrifice the following:
- Control: When you have the wrong size kayak paddle, you will have a more difficult time navigating in the water. You risk getting stuck in a difficult situation. Also, you will not be able to turn or direct your kayak in the right direction.
- Usability: If you rent a kayak, there are factors you should consider including your experience level and the turning angles. If the kayak paddle doesn’t match your level of expertise, it can be back-breaking for you.
- Comfort: This is a major factor. You won’t enjoy your kayak trip if you’re uncomfortable. If you choose a kayak paddle length that is too long for you, you might be unable to move and lift it freely. Kayak paddles that are way too short can result in sore hands and back pain because you will exert extra effort to reach the water.
What Materials Are Used for Paddle Shafts and Paddle Blades?
Kayak paddles are made out of different materials. It can be overwhelming to decide which kayak is right for you without knowing a bit about what they’re made of. Here’s an overview for you.
Kayak Paddle Blades
Nylon or Plastic Blades
Nylon blades are the most affordable. However, they can get damaged easily. Beginners often opt for this one thinking that this is a perfect choice, but it can be cracked when mishandled. Its quality also diminishes when you leave it under the heat of the sun.
Unlike nylon blades, fiberglass blades can be pricey. But they are also more capable of long-term use. Note that the weight of your kayak paddle matters. The ones made from fiberglass are more lightweight. You can be sure that it will be easier to navigate in the water with this one.
Carbon-fiber blades come with a hefty price tag. However, this is the answer if you’re looking for top-quality kayak paddles. Carbon-fiber is ultra-lightweight and you can be certain that these blades will never let you down in the water.
Kayak Paddle Shafts
Aside from kayak paddle blades, there are also different paddle shafts, including the following:
- Plastic Paddle Shafts: These are not as widely available as other types of paddle shafts. They are also not the perfect paddle shaft if you’re looking for something reliable.
- Aluminum Paddle Shafts: Aluminum paddle shafts are long-lasting and functional. They also will not put a hole in your pocket.
- Fiberglass and Carbon-Fiber Shafts: If you want optimum performance and quality, you must be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money. Paddle shafts made of fiberglass or carbon-fiber are ultra-lightweight and sturdy.
When you rent a kayak for the first time, do not hesitate to ask experts for their recommendations. You can be sure that you’ll have an unforgettable experience and you might want to do it again.
If you and your friends are looking for something new to try, you should consider kayak rental at Island Marine Rentals. Our staff is more than willing to help you choose the perfect kayak paddle for you. Aside from that, we also offer excellent boat rental service in Madeira Beach, FL. What are you waiting for? We might have everything that you’re looking for in a perfect getaway. Contact us!